Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I have extremely curly hair. How do I make it into loose, Marilyn Monroe-style curly waves?

Hi! I have very tight, very thick shoulder-length curly hair (I'm ethnically Jewish).



I am going to a costume party and need 1950s-styled hair with Marilyn-Monroe type curly waves. (or wavy curls)



I have already tried:



A large-barrel curling iron



Blowing straight and then using the curling iron



Blowing straight and setting curlers while dry.



I've tried the above with various products, including a heat protector for curls by Go2b, two smoothing serums (one by John Frieda, I forget the other), non-aerosol hairspray from Aveda, aerosol hairspray from John Frieda, and Potion 9 from Sebastian.



None of these worked. My hair came out straight but fluffy every time.



I was going to try setting it in curlers while wet next time, but I only have a couple days till the party to experiment and get it right. I've also just blown about $100 on suggestions from friends that didn't work. Any ideas?



I have extremely curly hair. How do I make it into loose, Marilyn Monroe-style curly waves?

There is a product called FLat Out (i think it's by KMS, only at salons) that is fantastic. My sister has VERY curly hair (i ended up with boring straight) and we have used this on her. Both the shampoo and the taming serum. she washed conditioned, and then we blow dried it very very straight, flat ironed it and then added a anti-friz serum. After about an hour of it setting straight, we rolled it in large rollers and sprayed a setting spray. About 4 hours later, we unrolled, frizz eased again and it looked FAB!!! Good Luck!



I have extremely curly hair. How do I make it into loose, Marilyn Monroe-style curly waves?

I know what you mean. Taming curly hair can be trouble. Why don't you go to a salon that specializes in curly hair in your area?



I have extremely curly hair. How do I make it into loose, Marilyn Monroe-style curly waves?

how about going to a salon and getting a relaxer?



I have extremely curly hair. How do I make it into loose, Marilyn Monroe-style curly waves?

Sounds like your hair is like my daughters, If you was black it would be an afro. This is what i do with hers, first wash and use a very heavy conditioner, then apply a smoothing serum )Citre' Shine is a good one) and gel ( I like Loreal straightening line) and blow dry straight. If you have a flat iron, apply a little more of the serum to dry hair and run the flat iron over it until it is smooth, No flat iron? No problem, use the large barreled curling iron in its place, instead of curling just run the iron down the hair to smooth it. After you have smoothed it down, you can then use the large iron to give yourself large curls. Or you can do the hot rollers. Good luck and hope this helps!



I have extremely curly hair. How do I make it into loose, Marilyn Monroe-style curly waves?

Set your hair on very large rollers with bed head afterparty,and uptight this should smooth hair keep it from getting poofy and give you a nice sleek look



I have extremely curly hair. How do I make it into loose, Marilyn Monroe-style curly waves?

My daughter suffers from the same hair type. As a mom I have spent several hundred dollars on hair products that just end up making her look fluffy. If you are trying to contain your cost at this point a wig may be your best bet. If you truly want to do the style with your own hair you will have to purchase a professional straightening iron, commercial ones do not get hot enough, and then set your style once it is straight. Just know that if there is any and I do mean any humidity in the air all the work will be for naught and it will be fluffy once again.



I have extremely curly hair. How do I make it into loose, Marilyn Monroe-style curly waves?

The wet set is probably your best bet. Use setting lotion. You can get it from Sally Beauty Supply for under 10 bucks.



Wash and condition your hair, spritz the setting lotion all over, set rollers the way you want them, allow to dry. Don't use a hair dryer, if you have a bonnet dryer or can get one, it will make the drying process a lot faster. If you want to try sleeping in them to ensure it's dry, wrap your head in a silk scarf before your sleep. After your hair's completely dry, remove the curlers carefully, lightly comb into place with a wide toothed comb, and spray with a good flexible hold hair spray. That should work.



I have extremely curly hair. How do I make it into loose, Marilyn Monroe-style curly waves?

Wet it/wash it, set it on big rollers (like 2-3" diameter) -use some smoothing serum on each section of hair you roll up. Then either let air dry, or dry with a blow dryer aiming air downards on ur hair(upwards will make it poof off the rollers) and then let it set on the rollers for about another 30mins., or (best way)if you have access to a bonnet hair dryer the kind that hang over your head like at the beauty shop -use that and stay under it for a good 35-40 mins. When you take the rollers out do not comb through your hair. Use a brush to style top of your hair then run fingers through bottom of hair or lightly pick out to seperate %26amp; style curls. If you comb it it will probably turn into an afro! And make sure to use rollers that are big but not so big that all you get it waves. Good luck! and use some hair spray when done styling.

No comments:

Post a Comment